- This event has passed.
Private Equity Investing In Cannabis Industry Companies
March 7, 2019 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Blunt Talk About an Exciting New Industry
Private Equity Investing
In Cannabis Industry Companies
Last year, the legal cannabis market in North America reached $10 billion and now is predicted to more than double by 2022!
Forward-thinking private equity investors — often backed by high-net worth individuals and family offices, and sovereign trusts — have already made their entry into this rapidly evolving market, despite the fact that cannabis is legal for adult use in only ten U.S. states, and legal only for medical use in 32 states — and currently remains illegal at the U.S. federal level.
Early PE movers in cannabis companies have invested in enterprises that showcase the wide range of opportunities, from companies that are “plant touching” to those that are ancillary to the growth or sale of cannabis, or located in Canada, where cannabis is now fully legal federally and already big business. The industry also is gaining traction in Europe and other foreign countries.
Here are a few examples of high-profile investors who have made a name for themselves in the sector so far —
- Privateer Holdings, which is backed by Silicon Valley investor Peter Thiel.
- MedMen, a publicly-traded company, has a venture capital arm that has partnered with Wicklow Capital.
- Casa Verde Capital, a venture capital firm co-founded and backed by rapper Snoop Dogg.
Meanwhile, mainstream private equity firms are taking a closer look at investment possibilities in cannabis and readying for future moves. Already mainstream giant corporations are staking their claims — e.g., Marlboro cigarette maker Altria is acquiring a 45% stake in Canadian cannabis producer Cronos Group. Once U.S. federal legalization opens the sector’s doors to institutional investors, it will be a game-changer for the whole industry.
Chief Executive Officer
The Arcview Group LLC
Thursday, March 7
8:00am – 5:00pm
Click here to receive our best rate — a savings of $400 on our regular conference rates!
You’ll gain valuable insight as our panelists assess the outlook for cannabis industry investment opportunities when you attend The Capital Roundtable’s all-day conference on Private Equity Investing in Cannabis Industry Companies on Thursday, March 7, 2019.
For now, investors ready to enter the cannabis sector for the first time, and not put off by its high-risk profile, will find ample opportunities.
PE investors can pick among dozens of verticals within the cannabis industry beyond growing, processing or selling the product, including —
- real estate
- social media
Experts say the end of prohibition is inevitable. Looking forward, PE firms will also increasingly need to deal with several major competitive challenges including —
- the roles that the giant alcohol, tobacco, pharmaceutical, and beverage companies will play and are already playing in other markets
- high purchase price multiples and public company valuations
- the rapid consolidation in the space
Three Key Reasons Why You Should Join Us
- Find out how to navigate the fact that cannabis remains a U.S. federal crime.
- Understand the current status of Congressional efforts toward federal legalization.
- Discover large private equity firms’ plans to tackle the sector and where the most attractive investment opportunities lie.
- What are tax and legal implications investors should consider when investing in the US?
- Whether and how should investors interact with businesses that are “plant touching”?
- What are medical and pharmaceutical opportunities related to cannabis businesses?
- How can cannabis-related businesses access banking services?
- Are big tobacco, alcohol, beverage and pharma companies competitors or allies to private equity investors?
- How has legalization in Canada impacted valuations of cannabis-related companies?
- What are some of the best exit routes for cannabis-related businesses?
- What is the outlook for decriminalization at the federal level?
- What will happen to portfolio companies’ business plans after legalization?
Troy Dayton is CEO of Arcview Group, which is facilitating the evolution of the legal cannabis industry by connecting investors, entrepreneurs, and consumers in an effort to meet the expanding and changing needs of responsible cultivators, dispensaries, and customers nationwide.
Dayton is also chairman of the board of the Marijuana Policy Project and was formerly its chief fundraiser and lead liaison to the legal cannabis industry. He is a founding board member of the National Cannabis Industry Association and co-founder of Students for Sensible Drug Policy, which is now on over 200 campuses.
Dayton also helped launch and served as the first sales director at Renewable Choice Energy, which was recently acknowledged as the #1 green power provider by the EPA. He was recently named by Fortune Magazine to be one of the seven most influential people in the cannabis industry.
This Capital Roundtable conference in midtown, New York City, is all-business, all-targeted, all-designed to be a completely focused day of practical information and revealing insights about education companies. You’ll gain valuable insights from —
- Three informative panel discussions
- Two revealing keynote presentations
- Real-world perspectives from education company investors
- Industry outlooks from noted sector experts
- War stories and lessons learned from experienced hands
- Troy Dayton, Chief Executive Officer, The Arcview Group LLC
- Burt Alimansky, Chairman & CEO, The Capital Roundtable
- Tegan Adams, Chief Executive Officer, New Maple Holdings Ltd.
- Elaine Carey, Managing Director, FTI Consulting Inc.
- Benjamin Chiarelli, Founder & CEO, Cellibre LLC
- Michael Correia, Dir.–Government Relations, The National Cannabis Industry Association
- Rafael De La Cruz, Managing Partner, Universal Brand Ventures LLC
- Carlos Dew, Founder & Chairman, Superbad Inc.
- David N. Feldman, Partner, Duane Morris LLP
- Carolyn Gerin, Chief Executive Officer, Cannwise LLC
- Lewis Goldberg, Managing Partner, KCSA Strategic Communications
- Steven Hawkins, Executive Director, Marijuana Policy Project
- Robert Hunt, Principal, Linnaea Holdings
- Mitchell Kahn, Chief Executive Officer, Grassroots Cannabis LLC
- Kris Krane, Co-Founder & President, 4 Front Holdings LLC
- Harrison Phillips, Vice President, Viridian Capital Advisors LLC
- Tahira Rehmatullah, Managing Director, Hypur Ventures
- Christiane Schuman Campbell, Partner, Duane Morris LLP
- Michael Schwamm, Partner, Duane Morris LLP
- Timothy Seymour, Chief Information Officer, Seymour Asset Management
- Brian Sheng, General Partner, Arcview Group LLC
- Jeanne Sullivan, General Partner, Arcview Ventures
- John M. Torrens, President, Vertical Companies
- David Wenger, Partner, PurpleRock Cannabis Partners
7:30am – 8:30am
Networking & Registration & Breakfast
8:30am – 9:00am
Welcoming Remarks & Audience Self-Introductions
9:00am – 9:30am
Conference Chairman’s Introduction —
Troy Dayton, Arcview Group
9:30am – 10:00am
Morning Keynote —
David N. Feldman, Duane Morris LLP
10:00am – 10:45am
Networking & Coffee
10:45am – 11:45am
First Panel —
The Changing Face of the Law — What New Opportunities Will the End of Prohibition Bring?
11:45am – 12:30pm
Morning Conversation —
Medical Cannabis & CBD — Where Are the Best Opportunities in Pharmaceuticals, Nutraceuticals, & Genomics
12:30pm – 1:30pm
Networking & Luncheon
1:30pm – 2:30pm
Second Panel —
Bringing Pot Mainstream – How to Uniquely Position, Build, & Protect Your Brand
2:30pm – 2:45pm
Networking & Dessert
2:45pm – 3:30pm
Afternoon Conversation —
Joining the Green Rush — Innovative Strategies for Deal Making
3:30pm – 4:30pm
Third Panel —
Four Experts Argue Pros & Cons of Cannabis Business Opportunities
Networking & Adjournment
Space at this conference is limited, so register as soon as possible to assure yourself a seat. To avoid disappointment, please contact Kristi Paris today to confirm your attendance at 212-832-7300 ext. 0 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that Capital Roundtable limits the number of registrants from a single firm to three.
Best Rate – Early Registration
Save $400 off the standard fee of $1,495 when you register by Friday, January 11. Just $1,095.
Save $200 of the standard fee! Register by Friday, February 1, and the fee for the conference is $1,295.
$1,495 increasing to $1,595 day of conference, space permitting.
$995 each, when you register two or more people to attend from the same company.
You can pay by credit card (using the links above or below) or by check. Mail your check and business card to: New York Business Roundtable Inc., 747 Third Avenue, Suite 200, New York, NY 10017.
Can’t attend but want to hear the program? You can buy the audio package along with the handounts.
This event is sponsored by:
Andina Family Offices
Angelo Gordon & Co.
Blue Road Capital
Coda Capital Partners
Granite Creek Capital
H. I. G. Capital
Impact Agriculture Consulting
International Finance Corp.
Key & Co.
Lakeshore Food Advisors
M. D. Sass Investors Services
Roundtable Investment Partners
Sustainable Insight Capital Management
Tze Venture Search Fund for Aquaculture Technology
Wafra Investment Advisory Group